To be considered for the Pacific Secondary School Scholarships Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be resident in, and a citizen of, one of the seven participating Pacific island countries.
- Not be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia.
- At the time of application, be enrolled in and attending school. If you are selected, you must continue to attend school until you move to Australia to start your scholarship.
- Be at least 15 years of age as at 1 March 2020 and have not turned 18 years of age on or before 31 December 2020. This means you must still be 17 years of age at 31 December 2020.
- Have the signed approval of one of your parents or legal guardians and a written report from them explaining how they will support your performance and well being while you are on scholarship in Australia. If you are selected for an interview, you must bring the written approval of both parents or legal guardians.
- Submit two written reference reports from your principal and a community representative, and a school report.
- Meet the English language requirements for direct entry to a New South Wales or Queensland state government public high school in Australia. This means you have completed schooling taught in English for a minimum of two years. If you have not studied under an English language curriculum, you may be required to undertake an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test and meet the relevant minimum score, or agree to attend an Intensive English Centre in New South Wales or a High School Preparation Course in Queensland if selected.
- Meet any country specific eligibility criteria, if required